Fifehead-Magdalene (All Saints)
FIFEHEAD-MAGDALENE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Sturminster, hundred of Redlane, Sturminster division of Dorset, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Shaftesbury; containing 229 inhabitants. This place belonged to the celebrated abbey of St. Augustine, Bristol, and in the 34th of Henry VIII. was, with the advowson of the vicarage, granted to the bishops of Bristol, under whom the manor was held for several generations by the family of Newman. The parish is situated on the river Stour, near the road from Exeter, viâ Yeovil, to London, and comprises 956 acres by measurement; the land is fertile, and principally pasture. The living is an endowed vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7, and in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol: the tithes have been commuted for £245, and the glebe comprises 24 acres. The church has been repaired; the walls have been raised, the building new roofed, and a tower added.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.