FARRINGDON, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (E.) from Exeter; containing 381 inhabitants. It comprises 1977 acres by measurement: the soil is generally clayey, alternated slightly with red sand and gravel. A few females are employed in making pillow-lace. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 1½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises 54 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.