Farndish (St. Michael)
FARNDISH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Willey, county of Bedford, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Wellingborough, and the same distance (S. W. by S.) from Higham-Ferrers; containing 86 inhabitants. It occupies the extreme north-western part of the county, upon the border of Northamptonshire, and comprises 520 acres of arable, and 160 of grass, land; the soil is clay and gravel, with a substratum of limestone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £160; patron, the Rev. A. Chester. The tithes were commuted for land under an act of inclosure in the 39th and 40th of George III.; the glebe altogether consists of 129 acres, with a glebe-house.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.