Ashford (St. Peter)
ASHFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. W.) from Barnstaple; containing 174 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the navigable river Taw, by which it is bounded on the south; and comprises by measurement 339 acres, twothirds of which are arable, and the remainder grazing, meadow, and orchard, with 38 acres of common. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £8. 13. 9.; it is in the patronage of the Crown, and the tithes have been commuted for £85, with a glebe of 7 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.