Exton (St. Peter)
EXTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Dulverton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Dulverton; containing 380 inhabitants. The village stands on an eminence overlooking the river Exe, from which it derives its name. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 11., and in the gift of J. Evered, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £318, and the glebe comprises 67 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.