Exminster (St. Martin)
EXMINSTER (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Exminster, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Exeter; containing 1177 inhabitants. At this village, which is very pleasantly situated on the west side of the river Exe, a fair is held on May 29th. Contiguous to it is a county lunatic asylum, designed for 400 patients, on a novel and ingenious plan, submitted by Mr. Fowler, secretary to the Society of Architects; the project was under consideration nearly twenty years, and the estimated expense, £60,000, was, by a vote of sessions in Michaelmas 1840, to be defrayed within fourteen years. The Exeter canal runs through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; net income, £253; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Crediton Church Corporation Trust. The tithes have been commuted for £845. 10., and the glebe comprises 12 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.