Everdon (St. Mary)
EVERDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Fawsley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 4¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Daventry; containing 777 inhabitants. This parish, which consists of 2377a. 1r. 27p. of a highly rich soil, is pleasantly situated in a finely-diversified portion of the county. The village is situated in a fertile vale, sheltered on the north-west and on the south by a range of hills: in 1786 it suffered material injury from a fire. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 2. 11.; net income, £465; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. Certain tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1764; those of the hamlet of Snorscombe, in the parish, have under the recent act been commuted for a rent-charge of £150. The church is a large and handsome edifice, with some ancient details, among which is a beautiful entrance on the south side, in the decorated English style. There is a place of worship for Independents. The town lands, comprising 16a. 2r. 17p., produce a rental of £30. 8., appropriated partly to the repair of the church.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.