Evercreech (St. Peter) cum Chesterblade
EVERCREECH (St. Peter) cum Chesterblade, a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Shepton-Mallet; containing, with the hamlets of Bagbury, Southwood, and Stoney-Stratton, 1449 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4078 acres by measurement, and is situated on the road from SheptonMallet to Bruton: the manufacture of silk is carried on, affording employment to about 100 persons; and there are quarries of blue lias suited for building and paving. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 19.; patrons and impropriators, the Hon. Mr. and Mrs. Talbot, whose tithes have been commuted for £150, and the vicarial for £250. The church is a large and noble edifice, with a tower in the decorated English style, 135 feet high, terminated by elegant pinnacles. At Chesterblade is a very ancient chapel; and there is a place of worship in the parish for Wesleyan Methodists. Here are a Roman encampment, and a spring strongly impregnated with salt.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.