ESKE, a township, in the parish of St. John, Beverley, union of Beverley, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 3¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Beverley; containing 29 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday book Asche, derives its name from the British word signifying water. It was given at an early period to the collegiate church of St. John. The township comprises about 1130 acres: the situation of the village, on the east bank of the Hull river, is elevated, but the country around is flat, and before the introduction of drainage here, the grounds were frequently under water. The lands are tithe-free.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.