Enderby (St. John the Baptist)
ENDERBY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Leicester; containing 1336 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south-east by the river Soar, and comprises 1535 acres; the soil is generally of a light sandy quality, and the substrata are granite and sandstone. The village is pleasantly situated on a hill rising from a widely-extended plain. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Whetstone annexed, valued in the king's books at £10. 8. 9.; net income, £192; patron and impropriator, C. Smith, Esq. A school was endowed with a house and the interest of £200, by Richard Smith, Esq., in 1762.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.