Emborough, In and Out (St. Mary)
EMBOROUGH, IN and OUT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Wells; containing, with the tything of Whitnell, 210 inhabitants, a few of whom are engaged in making edgetools. The parish is situated on the road from Wells to Bath, in a district abounding with interesting scenery, and comprises by measurement 1829 acres, of which about 600 are arable, 150 woodland, and the remainder pasture. By the road side is a lake covering about ten acres, with a thick wood behind, and some pleasant walks. The living is annexed, with that of StoneEaston, to the vicarage of Chewton-Mendip: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £140, and the vicarial for £74; the glebe comprises 2 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.