Eighton-Banks or Ayton-Banks
EIGHTON-BANKS, or Ayton-Banks, a hamlet, in the chapelry of Lamesley, parish of Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 4 miles (S.) from Gateshead. The hamlet is situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country, and contains about 120 houses, and 600 inhabitants, who are chiefly employed in the adjacent coal-pits, and the extensive grindstone and other quarries in the neighbourhood. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.