EGGINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 2 miles (E.) from Leighton-Buzzard; containing 390 inhabitants. The manor passed in the last century through several hands, and was more recently the property of John Bond, Esq., and George Goodwin, Esq. The land is laid out in arable and pasture, and is open country, chiefly of a clayey soil. The village lies south of the road from Leighton-Buzzard to Hockliffe. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of about £100; patrons, the Parishioners, The chapel is an ancient edifice, in the pointed style. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive Methodists. About £153 per annum, proceeding from charity lands, are thus appropriated, one-half to the incumbent, one-quarter for the repairs of the chapel, and one-quarter to the poor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.