Edwalton (Holy Rood)
EDWALTON (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Bingham, N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Nottingham; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement about 800 acres, of which about a fifth are pasture, and the rest arable; the surface is undulated, and the village pleasingly situated in a sequestered spot. A little more than sixty years ago the land was so boggy and indifferent, it could scarcely be let at any price; but it has been much improved, within the last twenty-five years especially, by draining and superior cultivation. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £97; patron and impropriator, John Musters, Esq. The church is an humble edifice of brick, with a rather clumsy tower.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.