Edenhall (St. Cuthbert)
EDENHALL (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Penrith; containing 266 inhabitants. This place, which takes its name from the river Eden, is the property of the Musgrave family, who have held the manor from the reign of Henry VI. The parish comprises 3106a. 3r. 31p., whereof 1118 acres are arable, 1524 meadow and pasture, and 464 woodland; the soil is light and fertile, and freestone of a reddish colour is found in abundance, and quarried for building. The surface is varied; and from its situation within the limits of Inglewood Forest, the parish possesses much of the character of forest scenery. Eden Hall, the seat of Sir George Musgrave, Bart., rebuilt in 1825, under the superintendence of Sir R. Smirke, is a spacious mansion of freestone, in a noble park. The village is pleasantly situated on the road to Newcastle, viâ Alston-Moor, and on the river Eden; the Eamont bounds the parish on the south. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Langwathby annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 12. 1.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle; net income, £178. The church, which was thoroughly repaired in 1834, by the Musgrave family, at an expense of £2500, is a handsome but small structure in the early English style, with a low tower. In the steep bank of the river Eamont is a singular cavern, very difficult of access, called the Giant's Cave.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.