Ashbrittle (St. John the Baptist)
ASHBRITTLE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Milverton, W. division of Somerset, 6¾ miles (W.) from Wellington; containing 540 inhabitants, and comprising 2489a. 2r. 10p., of which 95 acres are common or waste. The parish is situated on the borders of the county of Devon, and includes the tything of Greenham. Fairs are held in Feb. and Oct. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 3. 11½., and in the gift of J. Quick, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe consists of 80 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.