Ash-Priors (Holy Trinity)
ASH-PRIORS (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Taunton, W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury and of the county of Somerset, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Taunton; comprising by computation 600 acres, and containing 226 inhabitants. The name of this place is a corruption of Esse Prioris, "the property of the prior," which related to a house here, anciently used for a country residence by the prior of Taunton. The church and principal parts of the village are beautifully situated on rising ground, commanding a fine view of Taunton-Dean. There are some quarries of red sandstone, which is of good quality for building, and is also burnt for manure. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Sir Thomas Buckler Lethbridge, Bart., with a net income of £70: the tithes have been commuted for £110. The church, a neat structure in the later English style, has been enlarged by the addition of a new aisle, and beautified, at the expense of Sir T. B. Lethbridge. Priory House, of which a small portion yet remains, was the residence of the celebrated Admiral Blake.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.