Eastham (St. Peter and St. Paul)
EASTHAM (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Tenbury and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 18 miles (N. W.) from Worcester, on the road to Ludlow; containing, with the chapelries of Hanley-Child and Orleton, 599 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Teme, and comprises 4935 acres, whereof 2327a. 3r. 37p. are in the township of Eastham; the whole is in about equal portions of arable and pasture, with 140 acres of hops. The surface is much undulated; the soil a deep loam; and the scenery panoramic, beautiful, and well wooded, embracing the Eastham range of hills. The land is very rich, especially near the Teme, and produces wheat, fruit, barley, beans, &c. Excellent limestone is obtained. The living is a rectory, with that of Hanley-William annexed, valued in the king's books at £28. 15. 10.; net income, £920; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Charles Turner. The church stands in a beautiful vale, and is an ancient Gothic structure, apparently built on a Saxon foundation: in 1830 the interior was newly pewed, a gallery added, the old wooden spire replaced by a substantial tower, and the whole put into excellent repair. At Hanley-Child and Orleton are chapels of ease. Court House, an old mansion near the church, now in the family of the Whitcombes, was formerly the seat of the Baron of Burford.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.