UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dunston

DUNSTON, a township, in the parish of Embleton, union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6ΒΌ miles (N. E.) from Alnwick; containing 218 inhabitants. It comprises between 2000 and 3000 acres, of which a portion is old grass-land; the soil is generally well adapted for the cultivation of wheat, and a lighter description grows turnips to great perfection. Limestone abounds, and the fine cliffs which intersect the township furnish an inexhaustible supply of the best material for roads, walls, &c. On a bold basaltic rock, jutting out into the sea, are the ruins of an extensive castle, formerly constituting a member of the duchy of Lancaster, but now belonging to the Earl of Tankerville.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.