ARTINGTON, a tything, in the parish of St. Nicholas, Guildford, union of Guildford, First division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Guildford; containing 687 inhabitants. Artington lies on the west side of the river Wey, and, according to tradition, was once the principal part of the town of Guildford. Some lands here were given in the reign of Henry III. to the nuns of Wherwell, in Hampshire, who continued in the possession of them until the dissolution of their nunnery in the time of Henry VIII. The rents of "Ertindon" belonging to the establishment then amounted to £1. 1. 2. per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.