Draycot-Cerne (St. Peter)
DRAYCOT-CERNE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Chippenham, hundred of Malmesbury, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Chippenham; containing 181 inhabitants. The parish takes the distinguishing affix to its name from the family of Cerne, to whom the manor anciently belonged. It is situated on the Avon, and intersected by the Great Western railway, in a detached portion near the river; and comprises by measurement 970 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 11., and in the gift of the Earl of Mornington: the tithes have been commuted for £260, and the glebe comprises 52 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is an ancient structure. Weapons supposed to be Saxon have been found. Dr. Buckeridge, successively Bishop of Rochester and of Ely, was born here about 1562.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.