Down, West (Holy Trinity)
DOWN, WEST (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (N. W. by N.) from Barnstaple; containing 637 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 14. 9.; net income, £190; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriators, G. Langdon, Esq., and others. The church contains a monument to the memory of Sir J. Stowford, a justice of the common pleas in 1343, for the welfare of whose soul the prior of Wells founded a chantry, and endowed it with a stipend for the maintenance of a priest.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.