DODINGTON, a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 9½ miles (W. N. W.) from Bridgwater; containing 114 inhabitants. This parish takes its name from the ancient family of Dodington, to whom it belonged for several centuries; it is situated on the road from Bridgwater to Minehead, at the foot of the Quantock hills, and comprises 555a. 1r. 32½p. Copper-ore is to be found, and there is a mine in the parish, but not in operation; limestone is quarried, chiefly for burning into lime, and the stone is replete with very beautiful red and white madrepore. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the gift of Sir P. P. F. P. Acland, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £90, and the glebe comprises 20 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a handsome edifice in the later English style.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.