Arreton (St. George)
ARRETON (St. George), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (S. E.) from Newport; comprising by computation 9000 acres, and containing 1964 inhabitants. It abounds with limestone, which is extensively quarried for building purposes, and for burning into lime. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £21; net income, £220; patron and impropriator, J. Fleming, Esq.: the small tithes have been commuted for £245, and there are 20 acres of glebe. The church, an ancient building with a heavy embattled tower, contains a brass effigy of a Knight Templar.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.