UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dissington, South

DISSINGTON, SOUTH, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from Newcastle-upon-Tyne; containing 76 inhabitants. It was for several centuries the seat of a branch of the Delavals, from whom the estate came to Sir Jacob Astley, and is now the property of Mr. Collingwood. The tithes have been commuted for £196. 7. 8., of which the Bishop of Carlisle receives £190. 16. 5., and the vicar £5. 11. 3.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.