DISHFORTH, a chapelry, in the parish of Topcliffe, union of Great Ouseburn (under Gilbert's act), wapentake of Hallikeld, N. riding of York, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Boroughbridge; containing 363 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Boroughbridge to Thirsk, and comprises about 940 acres, of which the soil is generally fertile: the river Swale passes about two miles to the east of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Topcliffe; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York, and others. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Particular Baptists; and an endowed school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.