Dirham, or Dyrham (St. Peter)
DIRHAM, or Dyrham (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Lower division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Marshfield; containing, with Hinton, 530 inhabitants. This place is distinguished as the scene of a sanguinary conflict between Ceawlin the Saxon, and Commeail and Condidam, petty kings of the Britons, both of whom he slew; and there are still some remains of the vast ramparts, called Barhill Camp, near which the battle occurred. The parish comprises 2500 acres: the soil is partly rich loam and partly sand; the surface is diversified with hills, and the low grounds are watered by the river Boyd, which has its source in several small springs that unite their streams here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 6.; net income, £501; patron, W. Blathwyt, Esq. The church is a handsome building, with portions in the early and later English styles of architecture.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.