Diptford (St. Mary)
DIPTFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 5¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Totnes; containing 755 inhabitants. It is partly bounded by the river Avon, is situated about a mile from the Exeter and Plymouth road, and comprises 4144a. 3r. 15p., of which 127 acres are common or waste. Stone for the repair of roads, and slate for roofing houses, are quarried. A fair is held in June. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 2. 1., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. C. Johnson: the tithes have been commuted for £559. 5., and the glebe comprises 2 acres, with an excellent glebe-house. A parochial school is supported principally by the rector; and the proceeds of some charity estates, amounting to about £100, are applied to the repairs of the church and other purposes.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.