DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dinedor (St. Andrew)

DINEDOR (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. E. by S.) from Hereford; containing 289 inhabitants. It is situated on the banks of the river Wye, and comprises 1519a. 3r. 13p., the larger portion under tillage. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 7.; net income, £315; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Worcester College, Oxford. Part of the tithe belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Hereford and the Governors of Guy's Hospital: the glebe contains 61 acres, with a glebe-house. There is a Roman encampment on Dinedor Hill, which is also called Oster Hill, from Ostorius Scapula, the Roman prætor, who commanded here. Matthias Turner, the friend of Grotius, is buried in the chancel of the church.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement