Dinder (St. Michael)
DINDER (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Wells; containing 248 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Bridgwater, and comprises 1071a. 1r. 37p.: limestone is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £2. 10. 7½.; patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The tithes have been commuted for £190; the glebe consists of 21 acres. The church is a neat structure, with an ancient pulpit of stone. A school is endowed with £8 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.