Dilhorne (All Saints)
DILHORNE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Cheadle, N. division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 2¼ miles (W.) from Cheadle; containing with the township of Forsbrook, 1579 inhabitants. It comprises 3558a. 2r. 4p. of land: the whole extent towards Cheadle is supposed to be beds of coal, and three coal-mines are at present in operation. The Hall is a handsome seat. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 13.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield and Coventry. The great tithes have been commuted for £210, and the vicarial for £70; there are two acres of glebe belonging to the Dean and Chapter, and the vicarial glebe comprises about 90 acres. The church is a spacious structure; the body is modern, but the chancel and tower are very ancient, the latter being of an octagonal form, large and unadorned, and esteemed one of the most perfect specimens of the Norman style to be found in England. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The free grammar school is said to have been founded by an earl of Huntingdon, in the reign of Henry VIII., and endowed by the inhabitants; the income is now about £300 a year, and a new schoolroom, with a residence for the master, has been erected in the Elizabethan style, by the family of the Marquess of Hastings, the patron, at Blythemarsh, on the road from Uttoxeter to Newcastle. Three doles, amounting to £11. 12. per annum, are appropriated to the poor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.