Denby (St. Mary)
DENBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Derby; containing 1338 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Derby to Alfreton, and comprises by admeasurement 2200 acres: coal-mines are in operation, and about 100 persons are employed in the manufacture of stone bottles. It is traversed by the Little Eaton railway, in several branches from the smithy-houses, potteries, and other establishments within its limits, to the various works carried on near its northern and western boundaries. A market held by charter of Edward III., dated 1335, has been discontinued about 30 or 40 years. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £100, and in the patronage of William Drury Holden, Esq.: the impropriation belongs to the almshouse at Derby, and produces a rentcharge of £350; the glebe contains 32 acres, of which 5 are in the parish of Heanor. The church has been enlarged, and 160 free sittings provided. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and a free school, founded by Mrs. Massie in 1635, possesses an endowment of £47. 10. per annum. John Flamsteed, the celebrated mathematician, and astronomer royal, was born here in 1646.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.