Dartington (St. Mary)
DARTINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Totnes; containing 603 inhabitants. The baronial mansion of this place is very ancient, and, from the walls and foundations still remaining, appears to have consisted of a double quadrangle, divided by a spacious hall, which, with the state apartments in the western quadrangle, is supposed to have been built by Holland, Duke of Exeter. The parish is situated on the road from Totnes, by Ivy-bridge, to Plymouth, and on that from Totnes to Ashburton; and comprises 3248a. 3r., of which 70 acres are common or waste: limestone is quarried for building and agricultural purposes, and there are two good slate-quarries. The hill called Yarnes Beacon, like several other eminences in the parish, is composed of porphyry and green-stone, and is thought to be of volcanic origin. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 4. 4½., and in the patronage of Henry Champernowne, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £700, and there is a glebe of 108 acres. The church is in the later English style, with a chancel and tower of more ancient date: the pulpit is richly carved, and in the chancel are monuments of one of the Champernownes, whose mother was preceptress to Queen Elizabeth; of Dr. John Prideaux, Bishop of Worcester; and one of the family of Williams, speaker of the house of commons in the reign of Elizabeth. William Hart, who, during the usurpation of Cromwell, suffered severely for his loyalty to the fallen monarch, was rector of the parish, and rebuilt the parsonage-house.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.