Dallington (St. Mary)
DALLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Newbottle-Grove, union, and S. division of the county, of Northampton, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Northampton; containing 519 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north and north-east by the river Nene, and on the south-west by the road from Northampton to Rugby; and comprises 1474a. 1r., exclusively of a plantation of firs, computed at 150 acres. The principal part of the land, which is of rich quality, is arable, the grass not amounting to more than 200 acres. About 100 persons are engaged in the manufacture of shoes. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 8.; net income, £200; patron and impropriator, J. Reddall, Esq.: the glebe consists of 40 acres, with a glebe-house. The church has portions in the early English style, and contains handsome monuments to the Rainsford and Jekyll families, former possessors of the estate.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.