Dalby Magna (St. Swithin)
DALBY MAGNA (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 479 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2400 acres, of which about 1790 are meadow, 500 arable, and 10 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 4. 7.; patron and impropriator, Sir Robert Burdett, Bart.: the great tithes have been commuted for £49. 7. 6., and the vicarial for £235, and there is a small glebe, with a glebe-house.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.