UK Genealogy Archives logo

Dacre (St. Andrew)

DACRE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Penrith; containing, with the townships of Great Blencowe, Newbiggin, Soulby, and Stainton, 975 inhabitants, of whom 204 are in the township of Dacre. A monastery existed here in the time of Bede; and at this place Constantine, King of Scotland, and Eugenius, King of Cumberland, placed themselves and their dominions under the authority of Athelstan. Dacre Castle was long the residence of an ancient and noble family of that name: the main body of it, consisting principally of four towers, of excellent workmanship, remains in a very perfect state. The parish comprises by admeasurement 6466 acres, of which about 808 are wood, 300 meadow and pasture, and the rest arable: limestone is obtained. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £120; impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale. The small tithes of the townships of Dacre and Soulby were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1806. There is a school endowed with £140 per annum, arising from land; another with £8. 15., a third with £7. 10., and a fourth with £3, per annum. At Southwaite, in the parish, is a mineral spring.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.