Cumwhitton (St. Mary)
CUMWHITTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Cumwhitton, Moorthwaite, and Northsceugh; and containing 533 inhabitants, of whom 242 are in the township of Cumwhitton, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Carlisle. The parish comprises 5400a. 2r. 29p., the whole of which is arable, with the exception of about 140 acres of meadow, the ground occupied by a few Scottish firs and larches, and the plantations on the banks of the Eden. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is in the Norman style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle; a tower was built in 1810, and the ancient lancet windows have been displaced for others of larger dimensions. On an eminence called "King Harry" is a Druidical temple, the stones of which, 90 in number, are placed in a circular position; and the lines of intrenchments may be traced on the common.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.