Cudworth (St. Michael)
CUDWORTH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Chard, hundred of South Petherton, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Ilminster; containing 155 inhabitants. It comprises 436 acres of arable land, 520 pasture, and 98 wood. The prevailing timber is elm and Scottish fir; the surface is rather hilly, and the soil rests upon chalk: limestone is quarried. The Creech and Chard canal passes within two miles. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells; net income, £63: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe contains 32 acres. The church is in the later English style of architecture.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.