Cubley (St. Andrew)
CUBLEY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Uttoxeter, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Ashbourn; containing 425 inhabitants. It comprises 2227 acres of land, mostly of a strong soil, with some gravelly loam; and has two pleasant villages, one north of the church, called Big Cubley, the other on an eminence west of the church, named Little Cubley. This was the chief seat of the Montgomery family, and for a time the seat of the Stanhopes; but the mansion was long since pulled down. A fair, held on November 30th, was long noted for fat hogs. The living is a rectory, with that of Marston-Montgomery annexed, valued in the king's books at £13. 16. 3., and in the gift of the Earl of Chesterfield: the tithes have been commuted for £380, and the glebe comprises 5¼ acres, and a glebe-house. The church is an ancient structure with a fine tower; in the chancel, which was repaired in 1845, is the figure of a Knight Templar: the edifice is seen to good effect on the road from Sudbury to Ashbourn.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.