Cropwell, Bishop (St. Giles)
CROPWELL, BISHOP (St. Giles), a parish, in the union, and S. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. W.) from Bingham; containing 533 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1550 acres. There are quarries of blue lias, which is used for building, and for burning into lime; and also several beds of gypsum, of which great quantities are sent into different parts of the country to be made into plaster for flooring. Facility of conveyance is afforded by the Nottingham and Grantham canal, which runs through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 3. 4.; net income, £172; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is a handsome edifice, with a lofty embattled tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The old Fosse-road intersects the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.