CROOK, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 4¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Kendal; containing 257 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Kendal to Bowness, and comprises 2067 acres, of which the surface and scenery are mountainous and rugged, and the soil mostly a light gravel. The population is agricultural, with the exception of about 40 hands employed in the woollen manufacture, established about fifty years since in the hamlet of Crook-Mill, where, also, the turning of bobbins is carried on. In the mountainous part of the district is a small vein of lead, containing barytes, similar to that used in the manufacture of Wedgwood's jasper vases. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £77; patron, the Vicar of Kendal: there is a glebe-house. The tithes belong to Trinity College, Cambridge, and amount to £64. 14. The chapel, an ancient building with a tower, stands in the centre of the chapelry. The Society of Friends had formerly a meeting-house here, which was taken down about seven years ago, and they have still a burial-ground near How. The village school has a small endowment.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.