CROFT, a parish, in the union of Blaby, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6¼ miles (E. by N.) from Hinckley; containing 321 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1000 acres. The soil is various; to the north of the village, light; with some good pasture land near the borders of a brook which flows through the parish; and on the south of the village, a stiffish clay. There is a large quarry, supplying an excellent material for building and for the repair of roads; and about one-fourth of the population is employed in frame-work knitting. The village is situated on a granite rock rising from the edge of the brook, and continuing in a ridge northward, until it terminates in a remarkable conical hill, covered with verdure, and conspicuous for many miles round. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 4.; net income, £582; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Robert Thomas Adnutt. A portion of the tithes have been commuted for land, and the remainder for a rent-charge of £70. 8.; the glebe comprises altogether 250 acres, with a glebe-house.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.