UK Genealogy Archives logo

Creech, or Creke (St. Michael)

CREECH, or CREKE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Andersfield, W. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Taunton; containing 1296 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Tone, and intersected by the road from Plymouth to Bath, comprises by measurement 2218a. 2r. 13p.: there are quarries of stone of a reddish hue, of good quality for building and other purposes. The tide flows up to the Half-Locks, on the Coal-Harbour estate, where a very extensive traffic in salt, &c., was formerly carried on. The village has much improved since the formation of the Bridgwater and Taunton canal, which is here crossed by a well-built bridge of brick. A new cut from this canal has been formed under an act obtained in 1834, terminating at Chard, and communicating with the old canal wharfs near the bridge: it is carried over the river Tone by a handsome and extensive aqueduct, which crosses the lower road and moor, near the parish of Ruishton. The line of the Bristol and Exeter railway passes under the aqueduct. Here, also, commences the railway projected in 1846, to Ilminster, and which will run in the line of a portion of the Chard canal. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £16. 18. 9.: patron, the Rev. H. Cresswell; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, Mrs. Dyer and the Rev. Miles Formby. The tithes have been commuted for £383, and the glebe comprises 72 acres. The church, a spacious and handsome edifice with a tower, is pleasantly situated on an eminence above the Tone. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Here was a monastery of the Cluniac order, part of which is still perfect.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.