Creaton, Great (St. Michael)
CREATON, GREAT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Northampton; containing 505 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Northampton to Welford, and comprises 938 acres; the soil is partly red sand, and partly loam, alternated with clay. The population is entirely agricultural, with the exception of a few persons employed in the making of lace. The village is built on the north side of a hill, at a short distance from the public road; in the centre of it is a pleasant green, formerly covered with wormwood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 1. 8., and in the gift of the Rev. E. T. Beynon: the tithes were commuted in 1782, for 148a. 3r. 37p. of land, now valued at £260 per annum. The church is situated on an eminence. There is a place of worship for Independents. Near the church is a national school for boys and girls, with a master's house, built in 1845, on a rood of the rectory ground; it is supported by subscription. In 1825, six cottages for the accommodation of aged people were built on the green by the Rev. Thomas Jones, fifty years minister of the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.