CRAWLEY, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 9¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Alnwick; containing 20 inhabitants. It was anciently called Crawlawe, from Caer-law, a fortified hill. Crawley Tower, a Roman structure, stands on an eminence near an old and strong intrenchment, which is thought to be the Alauna Amnis of Richard of Cirencester, though some place this station at Alnwick, and others at Glanton: it commands a fine view of the vale of Whittingham, with the river Breamish from its source to Horton Castle; and there are the remains of not less than seven British and Saxon fortifications within four miles round the spot. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £6. 10., and the vicarial for 6s. 6d.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.