Cransley (St. Andrew)
CRANSLEY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Kettering; containing, with the hamlet of Little Cransley, 319 inhabitants, and consisting of 2046a. 1r. 24p. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 5.; net income, £98; patron and impropriator, William S. Rose, Esq. The glebe contains about 40 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is a handsome structure, beautifully situated in the midst of rich wooodland scenery; the tower has crocketed pinnacles, and is surmounted with a spire: there are monuments and tablets to the Rose family, and also to the family of Sir J. Robinson, lords of the manor. A school was founded in 1824, by the Rev. G. Anderson, vicar, who erected an appropriate building, and endowed it with a rent-charge of £25.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.