Cranford (St. Dunstan)
CRANFORD (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union of Staines, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 2½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Hounslow; containing 370 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Colne, over which is a bridge at the village, which from that circumstance takes the name of Cranford-Bridge; it comprises by measurement 721 acres, whereof about 323 are arable. The Great Western railway passes about three-quarters of a mile to the north of the church. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16, and in the patronage of the Earl Fitzhardinge: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 13 acres. The church was built previously to the time of Henry VIII., and contains portions of different styles.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.