Cranfield (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CRANFIELD (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Ampthill, hundred of Redbornestoke, county of Bedford, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Ampthill; containing 1371 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3933 acres, the soil of which is generally light, and in parts clayey: some persons are employed in the lace manufacture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £33. 2. 1.; net income, £376; patrons, the family of Harter. The tithes were commuted for 692 acres of land, under an inclosure act, in 1837. The church is a handsome structure, in the early and decorated English styles. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; and a school, endowed with £20, arising from land. A chalybeate spring rises in the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.