CRAMLINGTON, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (N. W.) from Earsdon; containing 2657 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3357 acres, of which 2640 are arable, 600 pasture, and 110 woodland. The surface presents the appearance of a ridge, having a descent both to the north and south; the soil is strong, and for the most part wet, unless where drained, owing to a bed of blue clay, from 30 to 110 feet in depth, lying immediately beneath. The views are very extensive: to the south and west are seen the churches and buildings of Newcastle, and the valley of the Tyne; on the east the ports of Seaton-Sluice and Blyth, and the sea; and to the north the Simonside hills. The chapelry is intersected by the Newcastle and Bedlington road, and the great north road passes to the west, within one mile of the village, which is situated on a pleasant slope, and has gradually risen to its present improved state from the opening of the adjacent coal-mines. Excellent freestone, also, is in abundance. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £66, and in the gift of Sir M. W. Ridley, Bart.; the tithes have been commuted for £266. 13. payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, a similar sum to the Dean and Chapter, and £102 to Sir M. W. Ridley. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. In the black shale, which usually forms the roof of each seam of coal in the mines, shells of the class unio are frequently met with; while palmæ, fernæ, and equisetæ are not uncommon: the water from the mines holds in solution carbonate of iron.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.