COXHOE, a township, in the parish of Kelloe, S. division of Easington ward, union, and N. division of the county, of Durham, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Durham, on the road to Stockton-on-Tees; containing 3904 inhabitants. The soil of the township is generally a strong clay. The village has lately increased considerably in consequence of the enlarged working of its collieries, of which the five following are in operation, viz., the Clarence-Hetton, the West Hetton, the Crowtrees, the Bowburn, and Coxhoe: the coal is shipped at Stockton, to which port it is conveyed by the Clarence railway. There are two limestone-quarries, and a good seam of clay used in the manufacture of brown earthenware; a small foundry, also, employs some hands. A church has been erected; and there are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.